Sunday, March 25, 2007

Holga Magic





In the world of photography, where technology makes it possible to see images in a millisecond and transmit them around the world almost as fast, it is nice once in awhile to get back to basics. On a recent afternoon, I took my new Holga 120N (great birthday present from my friend Kim, thanks!), essentially a toy camera that retails online for about $20, and walked around downtown New London. The camera takes medium format film that makes negatives 2 1/4 square. It's notorious for its light leaks (seen as pink marks in the photos), vignetted edges and "guess-how-far" focusing, but all these add to the flavor of the image. Check out this great link on Simple Photo Life for a tutorial on how to get started with the fabulous Holga.

1 comment:

Erica Kern O'Neill said...

It's nice to hear from you again. Although I can't complain because I never blog these days. Or months.